303 GQSiEf EMMAT and clue two-storied kiosks of varied outline to reliere the front Attached to Bam Hansiya's monoineat is a smaller one in commemoration of a faithful attendant BeMnd is an extensive garden, and in front, at the foot of the terrace, is an artificial Iake? called the Kosiim-SaroTar, 480 feet square ; the flights of stone steps on each side being broken into one central and four small- er side compartments by panelled and arcaded walls running out 60 feet into iie water. Oa the north side3 some progres? had been made in the erection of a for Jawahir Singh? when the -work was interrupted by Mnhammadan inroad and never renewed. On the same side^ the ghats of the lake are partly in ruins,, and it is said were reduced to this condition^ -a very few years after their completion^ by the Gosain Him mat BaMdur, who carried away the ma- terials to Brinda-jban, to be used in the construction of a ghat which still com- memorates Ms name there. Such a wanton exercise of power seems a little startling, and therefore it will not be out of pkee to explain a little in detail who this warlike Gosain was. A native of Biindel-khand? he became a pupil of Mahant Rajendra Giri, who had seceded from the Dasn&mis,* or followers of Sankaraeharya, the most fanatical of all Hindu sectaries, and had joined the Saiva Elgas? a community characterized by equal turbulence unfettered by even i pretence of any religions motiya Through his instigations, AH Baha- dur,, aa ilegitimate grandson of Baji Bao? the first Peshwa, was induced to tale up arms agxinst SindMa and establish himself in Bundel-khand as virtu- ally am independent sovereign. In 1802? AH Bahadur fell at the siege of EUanjar., leaving a son, Shamsher Bahadur. At first the heir was supported by Himmaty who; however^ continaed quietly to extend his own influence as far as possible ; and, on the combination of the Mahratta chiefs against the British GoYemmeEt, in which they were joined by Shamsher, foreseeing in feeir success an immediate diminntaou of his own authority, he determined to co-operate with the British. On the 4th of September5 1803, a treaty was concluded between Lord Wettesley and ' Anip-giri ffimmat Bahadur/ by which, nearly all the territory on the west bank of the Jamund from Kalpi to Allahabad was assigned to him. His death2 however? occurred in the follow- ing year9 when the lands were resumed and pensions in lien thereof granted to Ms family* Other sacred spots in the town of GoBardhan are the temple of Chak- resvar MahMeva, and four ponds called respectively G-o~rochan; Dharm-rochan, * T&e ten atmes— the title Baa-naroi—are tirtko, dsrauifl, tuna, aranyay smsvali, jjw% Marati, ®wi» pvm$af and *%an% one of wMck Is attacked to Ms peisoBal name by CTCI^ the order.